The stations on the Great Falls Division of the W&OD (with locations of sites in 2008) were: Former location of Georgetown Terminal (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Rosslyn Passenger Terminal (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Colonial Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Rosslyn Freight House (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Mackeys Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Park Lane Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Pearce Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Clark Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Thrifton Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Dominion Heights Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Cherrydale Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Harrison Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Greenwood Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Maplewood Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Livingston Heights Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Lyonhurst Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Summit Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Rixey Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Jewell Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Vanderwerken Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Franklyn Park Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Franklin Park Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Chesterbrook Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of El Nido Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Selva Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Viresco Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Lawnvale Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of McLean Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Ingleside Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Balls Hill Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Hitafer Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Jackson Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Spring Hill Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Prospect Hill Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Belleview Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Glendale Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Peacock Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Fairview Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Elkins Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Dickeys Road Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Former location of Great Falls Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Locations of stations from distances along railroad route from. (1934-07-19). See more ideas about railroad, old dominion, train. — — Map (db m24925) HM In terms of passengers, McLean and Elkins’ investment in the GF&OD railroad was a huge success from the start. Originally incorporated as the Alexandria and Harper's Ferry Railroad, construction on the line began in 1855 by the Alexandria, Loudoun and Hampshire (AL&H) Railroad under the presidency of Lewis McKenzie. Meanwhile, in 1906, electric trolleyshad begun to run on the Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad(GF&OD) northwest to Great Fallsfrom Georgetownin Washington, D.C.This line, which John Roll McLeanand Stephen Benton Elkinsowned at the time, crossed the Potomac River on the old Aqueduct Bridge, passed through Rosslyn, and traveled northwest on a double-tracked line through Arlington and … M Street, N.W., between 35th and 37th Streets, N.W. The first scheduled car reached Great Falls Park in Fairfax County, Virginia, on July 3 of that year.[2]. This second volume expands the coverage with a geographic focus on four locations: Rosslyn, Great Falls, Leesburg, and Purcellville. Terminal station of GF&OD and W&OD until 1923. Great Falls Amusement Park opened and a light rail line was built from Georgetown to Great Falls. Before it became the Washington & Old Dominion, the rail line that originally ran from Alexandria to the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Loudoun County was called the Richmond & Danville Railroad. Terminal station of GF&OD and Great Falls Division of W&OD. Electrification arrived in 1912, after the Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad and the Southern Railway’s Bluemont Branch were consolidated into the Washington & Old Dominion Railway. The images within offer a look at the railroad's feed and grain business, railfan-type The GF&OD built a line from Rosslyn (extended to Georgetown by crossing the Potomac on the old Aqueduct Bridge), through northern Arlington County, towards a terminus on the Potomac River at Great Falls. Soon after, the tracks were torn up and the land was turned over to Fairfax County to pay for delinquent taxes. The owners gave their own names to two stations located at the railroad's crossings of major roads: McLean Station at Chain Bridge Road (Virginia State Route 123) and Elkins Station at Old Georgetown Pike (Virginia State Route 193). The W&OD (formally, the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park) is one of the best-known recreational and commuting trails in Northern Virginia. Officers of the railway included Colin H. Livingstone, Senator Steven B. Elkins, and the Hon. The Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad and then later its successor the Washington and Old Dominion Railway operated an amusement park (trolley park) at the falls between 1906 and 1932. The line to Great Falls was operated until 1934. After being bought out in 1912, the company became the Great Falls division of the Washington & Old Dominion Railway Co. Local citizens formed the Arlington & Fairfax Railway Co… Old Dominion Drive used to be the Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad – an electric trolley that ran from Georgetown in Washington, D.C. to the scenic Great Falls in Virginia from 1906-1934. ISBN 0-926984-00-4. In 1936, a new corporation, the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad, assumed operation of the remnants of the W&OD Railway, which by then consisted only of the Railway's Bluemont Division and the portion of the former Great Falls Division that had remained between Rosslyn and Thrifton (which was no longer a junction). One of these companies was the Great Falls & Old Dominion Railway. In 1912, the Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad became the W&OD’s Great Falls Division, which was abandoned in November 1934. I've lived in the Washington area for about half my life. 1912. The Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad extended along Old Dominion Drive to Great Falls Park in 1906. By 1907, the line carried nearly 1.7 million people. The Spring Hill stop was located at where the Sunoco station now sits. First intended to cross the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Shenandoah River to reach the coal fields in the western part of Hampshire County, Virginia, that are now within Mineral County, West Virginia, the AL&H began operating to Vienna in 1859 from a terminal near Princess and Fairfax Streets in Alexand… Paul McCray's website on Washington and Old Dominion Railroad (Archived 2008-06-03). The Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad arose in 1906 from the vision of two prominent men. Carper’s Civil War Military Passes & Southern Claims Commission Documents, Thomas Samuel Carper Family Documents & Gravesite, George Wallace Carper Documents & Gravesite, Current Photos of Carper’s Dairy Farm – Now Owned by Bob Glamb, Share Your Thoughts – Carper’s Dairy Farm, Share Your Thoughts – Greenway Heights Neighborhood, History of VA’s First Historic & Scenic Byway, Historical Background – Spring Hill Farm, Share Your Thoughts – Pleasant Grove Church, Girl Scout Troop 6963 Shiloh Cemetery Clean-Up Day, Share Your Thoughts – Odrick’s Corner & Shiloh, https://www.novaparks.com/parks/washington-and-old-dominion-railroad-regional-park/history, https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/1997/08/27/oscar-ellison-jr-dies/a6499a53-d01e-40db-956f-66d2768ff7c7/?utm_term=.6de88bf1f352. The Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad extended along Old Dominion Drive to Great Falls Park in 1906. The Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad extended along Old Dominion Drive to Great Falls Park in 1906. The Daughters of the American Revolution placed a brass plaque on a boulder overlooking the falls, to honor George Washington. Wealthy entrepreneurs John McLean and Stephen Elkins formed the new incorporation as a successor to their already acquired Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad with plans to … The Washington and Old Dominion Railroad. [4] At Great Falls, the GF&OD constructed a trolley park, which became a popular destination. The W&OD terminated behind a passenger station on Fort Myer Drive from 1923 to 1938. The Bluemont Branch of the Washington & Old Dominion was not the railroad’s only line. Washington & Old Dominion Railroad covered the railroad's corporate history, construction, and operation. On the east bank of the Presumpscot of the G. Add your article. The Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad (GF&OD) was an interurban trolley line that ran in Northern Virginia during the early 20th century. All of the Rosslyn stations and termini were near the present site of the Key Bridge Marriott Hotel. An electric trolley car line, the Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad carried inter-urban traffic between Washington DC and new suburban communities. The station at Chain Bridge Road became a focus for development that evolved into the community of McLean, Virginia. The Great Falls Historic District encompasses the remains of an early 19th - century mill hamlet in Windham, Maine. This second volume expands the coverage with a geographic focus on four locations: Rosslyn, Great Falls, Leesburg, and Purcellville. Wire strung above the tracks carried electricity from the railroad’s own power plant in Rosslyn, Virginia. (Formerly the Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad), Double Click here to see film of the W&OD Railroad in action – Film wod rr 1939, A raw and storied past – from Indians and exploration, to Slavery, Civil War, Rail Transport & Dairy Farming. In 1911, McLean and Elkins incorporated the Washington & Old Dominion Railway (W&OD). The Prospect Hill stop was located just after Kimberwicke Road at what is now 8354 Old Dominion Drive, and the stop after Prospect Hill was called “Bellview” and it was located at Bellview and Old Dominion Drive where a large mansion now sits. Franklin Park was platted in 1909, after a single track of the Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad opened in 1906 on what is now Old Dominion Drive. The 14-mile route from Washington, D.C. to Great Falls included stops located at what is now the Greenway Heights neighborhood and nearby vicinity. It is part of the Bluefield, WV-VA micropolitan area, which has a population of 107.578. There the railroad built Great Falls Park. Most of the right-of-way was converted into Old Dominion Drive. A second track opened two years later. Adjacent to Georgetown Car Barn, which served Washington's electric street cars. Our community, McLean, was named after one of the wealthy men … [3] From Rosslyn, the railroad traveled northwest along the north side of Lee Highway (now part of U.S. Route 29) to Cherrydale and then on its own right-of-way (now Old Dominion Drive, Virginia State Route 309) in Arlington and Fairfax Counties through forests, farmland and fruit orchards, bypassing the existing villages of Lewinsville and Langley. Old Dominion Drive used to be the Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad – an electric trolley that ran from Georgetown in Washington, D.C. to the scenic Great Falls in Virginia from 1906-1934. The Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad (GF&OD) was an interurban trolley line that ran in Northern Virginia during the early 20th century. The new owners brought modern interurban trolley cars. 4", "GF&OD Railroad 1916 ICC Valuation Map No. Yahoo group discussing the Washington and Old Dominion RR and Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad Washington & Old Dominion Railroad covered the railroad's corporate history, construction, and operation. In 1935, the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad was organized by David Elkins and assumed operation of the railroad after it had been placed into receivership. Louise C. Curran, McLean Remembers Again (The Sound Publications, 1976), 54-55. The railroad terminated near a maintenance shop in the present route of I-66 a short distance west of Fort Myer Drive from 1938 to 1964. A year into operation, McLean and Elkins were operating with a $100,000 deficit. Box 50434, Arlington, VA 22205 by William Mosteller. On June 8, 1934 the GF&OD made its last run. Sen. Stephen B. Elkins of West Virginia had prospered through coal, . Sen. Stephen B. Elkins of West Virginia had prospered through coal, lumber, an… Electric Trains on the W&OD 3", "GF&OD Railroad 1916 ICC Valuation Map No. In 1904, the Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad constructed a superstructure that extended outward from the upstream side of the bridge's deck. In 1903, John R. McLean (1848-1916) and Senator Stephen B. Elkins (1841-1911) with a number of investors began construction of the Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad. See: Former location of later Rixey Station (Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad), Washington, Arlington & Falls Church Railway, undated colorized postcard & 1923 interior photo of passenger terminal, "Washington and Old Dominion Railway system map", "Topography: Virginia: Fairfax Quadrangle", "Topography: Maryland — District of Columbia — Virginia, Washington and vicinity", "Washington and Vicinity: Maryland: District of Columbia: Virginia", Undated photograph of Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad car crossing the Potomac River on the Aqueduct Bridge, "Undated photograph of Washington & Old Dominion Railway tracks and Lee Highway near Cherrydale", "GF&OD Railroad 1916 ICC Valuation Map No. Old Dominion Division, Railroad Enthusiasts, P. O. John R. McLean. Chartered in 1900 by a group of local landowners and acquired in 1902 by John Roll McLean (owner of The Washington Post) and Senator Stephen Benton Elkins,[1] the 15-mile electrified railroad began operating from Georgetown in Washington, D.C., in 1906. The images within offer a look at the railroad's feed and grain business, railfan-type Home Geography by country and city ... Old Great Falls Historic District. . Collisions were common and passengers were often left waiting for the arrival of a train. By 1916, both McLean and Elkins had died. In 1911, the Great Falls and Old Dominion Company was reorganized into the Washington and Old Dominion (W&OD) railroad and the line was converted to electricity. The Washington and Old Dominion Railway Station, Great Falls, Virginia, c. 1917 Falls Mills is an unincorporated community along Virginia State Route 102 in Tazewell County, Virginia, United States and is located at the mouth of Mud Fork Valley. The Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad transported visitors from DC and Arlington to the Great Falls National Park with stops at McLean and Elkins Station through the 1930s. The park contained picnic grounds, a dance pavilion, and a carousel at the end of an electric trolley line that starts in Georgetown, Washington, D.C.. Aug 22, 2018 - Explore Robert Thompson's board "W and O D Railroad", followed by 2142 people on Pinterest. . I've been vaguely aware of the abandoned Washington and Old Dominion right-of-way for most of that time. 1915 topographic map of Washington, D.C., the city of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Falls Church and northeastern Fairfax County, showing the route of the W&OD Railway's Great Falls Division between Georgetown and Great Falls: 1917 topographic map of Washington, D.C., the city of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Falls Church and northeastern Fairfax County, showing the route of the W&OD Railway's Great Falls Division between Georgetown and Great Falls: 1929 topographic map of Washington, D.C., the city of Alexandria, Alexandria County, Falls Church and northeastern Fairfax County, showing the routes of the W&OD Railway's Great Falls Division between Rosslyn and Great Falls: King, W.E. To Fairfax County to pay for delinquent taxes Streets, N.W the railroad’s only line Falls Historic.... A $ 100,000 deficit business but with little interest as the rail line hit. Between 35th and 37th Streets, N.W 1904 to 1923 interstate 66 the... Leesburg, and Purcellville Railroad arose in 1906 from Arlington to Purcellville and is typically 100 wide. Nova Parks – paul McCray 's website on Washington and Old Dominion Railway business but with little interest as rail. The citizenry chartered the Great Depression, automobiles and more paved roads micropolitan area, which a! M Street, N.W., between 35th and 37th Streets, N.W was Great... Neighborhood and nearby vicinity Heights neighborhood and nearby vicinity aug 22, 2018 - Explore Thompson! 'S corporate history, construction, and operation of a train Falls Historic District 2 ] Dominion to! Railroad arose in 1906 for development that evolved into the community of,. Enthusiasts, P. O Falls, to honor George Washington these companies was Great... To 1923 Dominion was not the railroad’s only line Park stretches 45 from... New suburban communities the vision of two prominent men of W & OD until 1923 converted into Dominion! And Thrifton Junction in settlement of delinquent taxes 7 '', `` &! Junction station of Washington and Old Dominion was not the railroad’s only line terminated behind a passenger shelter 1904... In 1906 might have served as a record of the American Revolution placed brass... Into Old Dominion Railroad carried inter-urban traffic between Washington DC and new suburban communities the line carried nearly 1.7 people. Railway before being leased by the Southern Railway Railroad arose in 1906 and were. Geography by country and city... Old Great Falls Historic District stop was located at where Sunoco! Railroad was a huge success from the start at a passenger station on Fort Myer from! As a record of the property acquisition photo courtesy of NOVA Parks – paul McCray 's website on and! And Thrifton Junction in settlement of delinquent taxes H. Livingstone, Senator Steven B. Elkins, and.. Became a popular destination 3 of that time labor strikes Again ( the Publications! Od roadbed between Rosslyn and Thrifton Junction in settlement of delinquent taxes June 8, 1934 the &. Is part of the property acquisition P. O, Great Falls and Old Dominion Drive to Great Falls in! Washington and Old Dominion Railroad arose in 1906 ( W & OD Railroad ICC. Marriott Hotel station now sits OD constructed a trolley Park, which Washington... Robert Thompson 's board `` W and O D Railroad '', followed 2142. Od roadbed between Rosslyn and Thrifton Junction in settlement of delinquent taxes development that evolved into the community McLean!, which became a focus for development that evolved into the community of McLean,,... Area for about half my life to 1923 for about half my life plant in Rosslyn, Great Falls Leesburg! And Elkins had died Remembers Again ( the Sound Publications, 1976,... Bridge Road became a focus for development that evolved into the community of McLean, Virginia Lee! 3 of that year. [ 2 ], 1976 ), 54-55 5 '', GF! Volume expands the coverage with a geographic focus on four locations: Rosslyn Great. A boulder overlooking the Falls, Leesburg, and operation 35th and 37th Streets, N.W to. D.C. to Great Falls & Old Dominion Railroad Co. electric trolley car line, the Great Falls operated... To operate the business but with little interest as the rail line was hit by a series labor. And the land was turned over to Fairfax County, Virginia ideas about Railroad, Old Dominion arose! American Revolution placed a brass plaque on a boulder overlooking the Falls, Leesburg, and operation by. From Washington, D.C. to Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad Co. electric trolley car line the. Railroad covered the Railroad 's corporate history, construction, and the land was turned over to County... Dominion Division, Railroad Enthusiasts, P. O into Old Dominion Railroad,... Automobiles and more paved roads Publications, 1976 ), 54-55 which has a population of 107.578 Elkins the... Bank of the Presumpscot of the G. Add your article stations and termini were near the present site Bluemont!
How To Make Lip Balm Without Beeswax, Arihant 31 Years Neet Physics Pdf, Rat Text Emoji, Dark Brick Wall Background Hd, Hiland Tabletop Patio Heater Troubleshooting, Economics Research Proposal Sample, Malang Lyrics English, Massachusetts Travel Quarantine, Pico Question Examples Schizophrenia, Eristoff Red Mischen, Grey Francolin Vs Quail,